The Golden Triangle & Shimla
Jump in and immerse yourself in this amazing tour around India to experience the country’s most celebrated sights and more.
Exploring the Golden Triangle, this journey combines imperial Delhi with the legendary Taj Mahal at Agra and a 3-night stay in the princely city of Jaipur, culminating in the beautiful hill station of Shimla.
Imagine sitting in the Mehtab Bagh gardens whilst you watch the sun set over one of the wonders of the world, the Taj Mahal.
This is one tour you won’t regret!
11 Nights from £2,295pp
We’re here to help
- Explore Jaipur while staying in a family-run heritage hotel
- Watch the sun set over the Taj Mahal from Mehtab Bagh gardens
- Ride the ‘British Jewel of the Orient’, the toy train to Shimla
- Rural Rajasthan village walk & lunch
- Half-board throughout
- Stay in 4- & 5-star accommodation
- Small group size – average 18 people (max 20)
- No single supplement on selected departure dates (limited availability)
- Small group size – average 14 people (max 18)
- 5-star accommodation
- Flexible – extensions, room & flight upgrades available
- Direct international flights with British Airways
- Express train travel in air-conditioned executive class
- Transfers in air-conditioned vehicles (10+ people in Volvo coach)
- Ride first class on Shimla’s toy train
- Experienced local tour manager
- 11 breakfasts, 4 lunches & 11 dinners
- Guided sightseeing & entrance fees
- Porterage at airports & stations
- Free day in Jaipur & Shimla for independent exploration
Overnight flight from London (regional connections available) to Delhi with British Airways.
Arrive in Delhi and transfer to the Taj Palace for 1 night. Leisurely afternoon tour visiting the Jama Masjid mosque and exploring the labyrinthine streets of Old Delhi by cycle rickshaw. In the early evening, dine at Haveli Dharampura and take in views of the Red Fort from its upper terrace.
Tour of New Delhi, including a drive past India Gate and the former viceregal residence. Continue to the tomb of the Mughal emperor Humayun and the Qutb Minar tower. Drive to Agra and stay at the Trident Agra for 2 nights.
Sunrise visit to the spectacular Taj Mahal before exploring the tomb of Itmad-ud-Daulah and Agra Fort. Visit Mehtab Bagh (Moonlight Garden), for sunset over the Taj Mahal.
Continue to Jaipur via the deserted sandstone city of Fatehpur Sikri and Abhaneri stepwell. Enroute, enjoy lunch at the lavish Laxmi Vilas Palace. Stay 3 nights at Ramgarh Lodge,a maharajah’s former hunting lodge.
Morning visit to Amber Fort and the Anokhi Museum. Afternoon visit to the striking City Palace, home of the present maharajah and the curious Jantar Mantar observatory.
A day at leisure to relax. Explore Jaipur’s many bazaars or choose from the range of optional activities including a sunrise balloon ride†.
Travel to Shahpura for lunch at the opulent 300-year-old palace, visit a local NGO and walk through the local village. Continue to Delhi for an overnight stay at the Taj Palace.
Take the morning train to Kalka followed by the narrow-gauge ‘toy train’ to Shimla, passing through stunning mountains. Stay 3 nights at the Oberoi Cecil in Shimla, the British summer capital during the Raj era. Upgrade to a Premier Valley View room from £160 per person for 3 nights.
Explore the historic mall and listen to the stories behind its many colonial buildings while making your way to the Vice Regal Lodge.
Day at leisure. Option to explore Shimla on a nature walk from the house where Rudyard Kipling wrote Plain Tales from the Hills to the gallery of a Shimla painter. Alternatively, enjoy afternoon tea at the Oberoi Wildflower Hall or visit the princely state of Dhami to spend the day with the noble family, birdwatching and enjoying their stories over lunch.
Drive to Chandigarh and connect with the midday train to Delhi. Stay overnight at the Taj Palace.
Fly to London with British Airways.